December 7, 2012

Blackpool!

Yes, I know, I've been back for a week now and I'm just getting to blogging about my trip to Britain.  But I've told you on many occasions that I'm a crap blogger so it's your own fault if you were thinking you'd get this sooner. (Yes, when all else fails, blame the viewer...)

I went to work on Monday, the 19th and left for the airport that evening.   Got to London at 8 in the morning, took the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, then the tube to Euston Station to wait for my train to Blackpool.  I arrived around threeish in the afternoon and grabbed a cab to my hotel.  This is a picture of Blackpool outside my window!

I love Blackpool.  I love the rock and the fish and chips and the beach, but mostly I love getting to see Ashley Lister and his family.  We've been friends for years but I don't get across the pond very often to visit.  This time I ate the best fish and chips ever at Harry Ramsden's. I wandered around with the two Ashleys.  I spoke about editing and publishing to a class of creative writing students at Blackpool and Fylde College.  I bought lots of Blackpool rock and I had the privilege of reading at one of the coolest erotic readings ever at the #5 Cafe.  For better or worse, Ashley the younger recorded several of the readings and two of mine appear on You Tube.  You can watch me read an excerpt from my story "Whore" (One Night Only, edited by Violet Blue for Cleis Press) and my story "Hound and Hare" from my upcoming anthology, Under Her Thumb (Cleis Press).

You might also enjoy a reading of Ashley Lister's story, "Kiss and Make Up" from my anthology, The Sweetest Kiss (Cleis Press).  This one was read by Vicky Ellis.  Or perhaps Remittance Girl's "The Dark Garden" from Coming Together Presents Remittance Girl. There were more recordings made and if they are put up on You Tube, I'll include them here.

I'll tell you all about my trip to London and my cheap day return to Paris in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment